Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Graduate Programs
Academic Year:

Several sources of financial aid are available to graduate students through the assistance Student Financial Services. In order to be eligible for participation in the need-based programs (Federal Perkins Loans, Federal Work Study, and Federal Direct Loans), students must file a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). Students should begin the application procedure in January or February for the fall semester. The completed FAFSA application is sent off campus for analysis and should be filed on-line by February 15 so that the processed application will be returned to the University by March 15.  Students should go to www.fafsa.ed.gov in order to submit the FAFSA. To be eligible for federal assistance, a graduate student must be enrolled for a minimum of 5 credit hours per semester. Foreign students are not eligible for these programs.

Federal Perkins Loans

Graduate students may borrow up to $40,000. This total includes any amount previously borrowed under Federal Perkins Loans for undergraduate study. Repayment for new borrowers begins nine months after the student graduates or leaves school. Eligibility for such a loan is based on demonstrated financial need. Perkins Loans average $1,000 per annum.  The interest rate is fixed at 5 percent.

Federal Direct Subsidized Loans

The Direct Loan Program enables the student to borrow a low-interest loan for educational expenses.  All students are required to complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) before a promissory note can be processed.  A graduate or professional student may borrow up to $8,500 per year.  The interest rate for first-time borrowers is fixed at 6.8 percent.  The total amount outstanding that a graduate or professional student may borrow is $65,500, including loans previously made at the undergraduate level. 

Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loans

Graduate and professional students are eligible to borrow through the Unsubsidized Loan program. A Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is required. Graduate students are entitled to borrow $20,500 per year.  The total amount that a student may borrow through the subsidized and unsubsidized programs is $138,500. This includes loans received during undergraduate study. The interest rate is fixed and is updated each July 1st.  As of July 1, 2014, the interest rate was set at 6.21 percent.  The maximum interest rate that can be set is 9.50% according to law.  Aid that is received through one's department, such as a graduate assistantship, can affect one's total loan eligibility.

Federal Direct PLUS Loans

Graduate and professional students may borrow on their own behalf, up to the cost of attendance. The interest rate for PLUS loans is fixed each July 1st, and is currently 7.21 percent as of July 1, 2014.  The maximum interest rate is set by law at 10.50%. It is necessary to file the FAFSA to apply for the PLUS loan.

Federal Work-Study Program

Eligibility is based on demonstrated financial need. Graduate students may apply if enrolled at least half-time. Jobs may be arranged either on campus or off campus with a public or private nonprofit agency such as a hospital. If eligible, a student may be employed for as many as 15 hours a week during regular academic sessions and 40 hours per week during vacation periods. In general, the salary received is based on the current minimum wage, but it is also related to the type of work performed and the proficiency required of the student.

Emergency Loans

Undergraduate and graduate students may have difficulty with temporary, unanticipated expenses. Student Financial Services offers a 30-day, no-interest loan to assist with such temporary difficulties. Contact Student Financial Services for further information regarding emergency loans.

The Office of Graduate and Professional Education offers a no-interest loan to graduate students who hold assistantships or fellowships up to $1,000 a semester to assist with temporary difficulties or initial start-up costs.  The repayment of the loan is through payroll deduction and must be repaid by the end of the semester of the loan.

Financial Aid Recipient Withdrawals

If you are a recipient of Title IV federal financial aid funds (Examples: Direct/Stafford Student Loans, Perkins Loan, Nursing Student Loan is also a federal financial aid program, Direct/Parent Loan) and your enrollment terminates through official withdrawal, your financial aid award must be reviewed for possible adjustment.

Financial aid eligibility is based on the cost of education (tuition, mandatory fees, housing, meal plan, books, etc.) incurred for the entire semester and is contingent upon completion of that semester. When you withdraw, federal regulations mandate that any unearned aid be returned to the federal aid programs. The percent of aid earned is based on the date of withdrawal divided by the total number of days in the semester. Title IV recipients are governed by federal policy if they withdraw prior to completing 60% of the semester.

If your institutional charges are reduced or recalculated, this change may result in the reduction of recipients" other sources of financial aid.

Failure to Withdraw Officially

Students are required to adhere to the University's official withdrawal policy when terminating their enrollment prior to the end of a given term. Failure to officially withdraw will result in the cancellation of any Federal financial aid program funds previously awarded for that term. Federal regulations require that funds for ineligible recipients be returned to the financial aid program accounts. Students will be billed for semester charges.

Satisfactory Academic Progress

For financial aid purposes, the federal Title IV assistance programs require students to maintain progress toward a degree. The federal programs include Federal Work-Study, Federal Direct Loans, Federal Family Education Loans (Stafford), and Federal Perkins Loans. Satisfactory progress for financial aid purposes requires:
  1. Completion of a graduate degree within five years of full-time attendance or its equivalent (a seven-year limit is provided for doctoral students entering without a master's degree),
  2. A cumulative grade point average consistent with the requirements of the graduate division, and
  3. Successful completion of 67% of credit hours attempted.

Academic records will be reviewed at the end of each spring semester. Students who fail to make satisfactory progress will be ineligible for federal financial assistance. Additional information concerning this policy may be obtained from the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid.

Campus and Other Employment

Information on summer and part-time jobs both on campus and in the surrounding community is available in the Career Services Center through the Student Employment Service or on-line (http://www.udel.edu/CSC). Jobs that are federally funded through the Federal Work-Study Program are through Student Financial Services office and additional information can be found at www.udel.edu/finaid/workstudy.


Although every effort has been made to assure the accuracy of the information in the Catalog, students and others who use the Catalog should note that the policies, rules, regulations, requirements for graduation, course offerings, and other materials reproduced in the Catalog change from time-to-time and that these changes may alter the information contained in this Catalog. see Legal Statement
  • University of Delaware   •   Newark, DE 19716   •   USA   •   Phone: (302) 831-2101   •   © 2017