Undergraduate & Graduate Catalog
Undergraduate Programs
Academic Year:

The University of Delaware accepts credits from higher education, degree-granting institutions that are regionally-accredited by the appropriate body and at the appropriate higher educational level.  Institutions outside the US must have comparable recognition by the national Ministry of Education of that country. The transfer of credit can be denied due to inadequate accreditation.

To transfer credits from approved institutions, students must submit official transcripts and official test scores from sources from which we accept credit. Coursework will only transfer for grades of "C" or better in college-level courses. Remedial coursework, CLEP scores, Pass/Fail grades, life experiences and military courses are not accepted for transfer of credit. Course content not aligning with the university’s curriculum may not transfer. Additionally, academic departments may require students to repeat outdated courses and/or coursework completed more than seven calendar years earlier. Courses taken under a different credit system will be converted to UD semester hours, ex: quarter hours x 2/3 (or .67) = semester hours.

Students offered admission to the University of Delaware will receive a preliminary transfer credit evaluation completed by the Registrar’s Office.  At times, courses that received a preliminary evaluation of general elective credit may prove to be directly equivalent to a UD course, if re-evaluated by the appropriate academic department. Only admitted students that have earned and transferred credits to UD may pursue re-evaluation – third-parties, parents, etc. may not pursue re-evaluation of coursework. Students pursuing re-evaluation of departmental elective credits should be prepared to provide course descriptions for faculty review. The final determination regarding equivalent coursework and the number of credit hours applicable to the program at the University of Delaware rests with the academic departments.

Students enrolled at the University of Delaware who wish to complete coursework for credit at another institution must complete a Transfer Credit Evaluation form and obtain their assistant dean's approval prior to enrolling in such courses in order to assure transferability of coursework. Credits and quality points for work completed elsewhere will not be included in the student's University of Delaware cumulative grade-point index. For more detailed instructions regarding approval procedures, visit http://www.udel.edu/registrar/transfer.

Students who want to know whether the course(s) they are taking or plan to take will transfer to the University of Delaware may consult the Transfer Credit Matrix. The Transfer Credit Matrix is designed to be a resource to identify potential transfer credit and associated University of Delaware course equivalents from completed course work at other academic institutions.  http://www.udel.edu/transfercredit.

Students taking coursework at other institutions are encouraged to be aware of the University’s residency policy. To receive a University of Delaware baccalaureate degree, admitted students must complete 90 of the first 100 credits or 30 of the last 36 credits, full- or part-time, at the University of Delaware. To receive an associate degree, at least 31 of the required 60 credits must be earned at the University of Delaware.

Although every effort has been made to assure the accuracy of the information in the Catalog, students and others who use the Catalog should note that the policies, rules, regulations, requirements for graduation, course offerings, and other materials reproduced in the Catalog change from time-to-time and that these changes may alter the information contained in this Catalog. see Legal Statement
  • University of Delaware   •   Newark, DE 19716   •   USA   •   Phone: (302) 831-2101   •   © 2017